Coty Fragrances were housed in numerous bottles over the years depending on what type concentration the fragrance was made: Parfum, Parfum de Toilette, Cologne, Eau de Toilette, or Eau de Parfum.
Some early bottles were made by Rene Lalique and Baccarat. But most bottles made after 1920 were made by Coty’s own glassworks in Pantin and his flacons were fitted with presentation cases made at his boxing factory in Neuilly.
The first bottles used were made for the Parfum (Extrait) and were made by Rene Lalique and Baccarat. Soon these proved to be too expensive for Coty to purchase, so he adapted the designs and had them made in his own glassworks in France, these bottles will be marked with "Coty France" on the base.
In 1913 , Baccarat created a gorgeous cut crystal flacon for La Rose Jacqueminot. This bottle was model number 225. It was a tall square shape with a spectacular round cut crystal lapidary stopper with a slightly pointed top.
Moth Stopper Parfum Flacon:
One of the first bottles used was the Rene Lalique designed bottle that featured the double moth frosted glass stopper. This bottle was originally designed by Lalique for the Coty fragrance Muguet in 1912, but was later used for almost all of the Coty fragrances.
This bottle was also made by Baccarat in 1916, mold number 307. These bottles should be acid marked Baccarat on the base. The Baccarat bottle can be found standing at 3.25' tall.
This was later made by Coty's own glassworks and will be marked "Coty" on the base. The Coty marked bottle holds 1.6 oz of parfum and stands 3.25" tall, it was housed inside of a green leather covered box.
The moth stoppered bottle was finally discontinued in 1961.
This bottle shape was adapted in 1916 originally for L'Origan for travelling by the usage of an inner glass stopper and a gilt brass screw cap, this bottle was made by Baccarat, model number 291. In 1928, these flat, square shaped crystal bottles were available in French leather cases. These bottles held Emeraude, Ambre Antique, L'Origan, Chypre and Paris. I have seen these bottles with L'Aimant labels too.
In 1927, Coty brought out a pretty new packaging design for the moth stoppered bottle. The bottle was now housed in a box covered with a brown suede like effect. This presentation was used for the perfumes Emeraude, L'Origan, Paris and Chypre. Newspaper ads differed on how much the bottle actually held as I found 1 1/3 oz, 1 3/4 oz, and 1 1/2 oz being noted. Errors in ads were numerous at the time.
The "Heliotrope" flacon, also known as "Coty Perfume No. 14" was first made by Rene Lalique in 1911 for the Coty perfume Heliotrope. It is roughly a triangular shape with canted corners along the bottom. The bottle was used for various Coty fragrances: Emeraude, L'Aimant, L'Origan, Styx, Chypre, Muguet, Jacinthe, Jasmin de Corse, La Rose Jacqueminot, and Paris.
Briar Stopper Flacon:
Rene Lalique designed this flacon in 1911, and it was later made by Coty's own glassworks after 1920. The clear glass bottle is tall, with a square base, and features a frosted glass stopper molded with the "briar" motif. The bottle was originally made to house the various Eau de Toilettes, but the design was later adapted to include different sizes including a miniature versions to house parfum. The most common miniature size is dubbed "Petite Modele" and debuted in 1936 and held 0.27 oz.
In the 1920s, the boxes had messages inside reminding the owners of the bottles that ""These exquisite crystal flacons are hand-cut in the Paris ateliers of COTY - Care must be taken in placing them on the dressing table to avoid breakage of the corners."
- 2" tall miniature (0.13 oz)
- 2.5" tall miniature (0.27 oz) - Petite Modele
- 3" tall (0.60 oz)
- 4" tall
- 4.25" tall (1.70 oz)
- 5" tall
- 5.25" tall (3 oz)
- 5.5" tall
- 6" tall
- 6.25" tall
- 6.5" tall
- 8.75" tall
Banded Bottles with Frosted Stoppers:
The bottle has an embossed band along the upper part and a frosted glass stopper molded with flowers and ridge details. People have mistakenly attributed this bottle to both Lalique and Baccarat, however, the bottle does not appear in either companies catalogs and was not one of their molds. It was made by Coty's own glassworks in France.
- 2.25" tall - 1/4 oz
- 2.75" tall - 1/2 oz
- 3.75" tall - 1 oz
Larger sizes of this bottle were also created for the boudoir, standing at 6" tall, 7.25" tall and 8" tall and hold Eau de Toilette. These bottles were also used for other Coty perfumes: Eau de Coty, L'Origan, Chypre, Paris, La Rose Jacqueminot and L'Aimant.
- 3 oz bottle.
A nice purse size bottle set was created and presented in your choice of a crackle finished or a platinum tone nickel hinged metal case around 1928. The bottle used was the banded bottle with the frosted glass stopper. The case stands 2 3/4" tall. These containers were discontinued in 1933.
Etui a Cigarette Presentation:
Also introduced in 1927, was the Etui a Cigarette presentation. Bottle stands 3 1/8" tall and is molded with Coty France on the base as it was made at Coty's own glassworks.
Lilas Pourpre Flacon:
"Lilas Pourpre" flacon made by Rene Lalique first used for Coty's Lilas Pourpre perfume in 1911. This bottle featured an arched shape with sloping shoulders and was fitted a frosted glass stopper with a molded stepped or scale design. The bottle was later used for all of Coty's perfumes in the 1910s through the 1930s. Most bottles made after 1920 were made by Coty’s own glassworks in Pantin and his flacons were fitted with presentation cases made at his boxing factory in Neuilly. You can find this in the 0.35 oz size as well.
In 1929, it was part of what is known as the "Louvre" presentation and was advertised as a "new flacon". The bottle held 1 2/3 oz of Parfum and as you can see in the ad below, it was housed in a faux reptile skin covered presentation box. According to newspaper ads, the bottle was still being used in 1930 for Emeraude, L'Origan, Chypre, Paris, and La Jacee. The name "Louvre" was a throwback to the very store that Coty first approached to sell his La Rose Jacqueminot perfume in 1909.
Cathedral Flacon for Parfum:
In 1930, a newspaper ad for Gimbel's claimed that a special bottle dubbed the "Cathedral", was designed and created exclusively for them to hold Coty's extracts of L'Aimant, Emeraude, Styx, L'Origan, La Jacee, Chypre, Muguet, L'Or, L'Effleurt, Lilas, La Rose Jacqueminot and Paris. The claim however, was untrue as I found other newspaper ads from other stores such as LS Ayres using the same bottle also claiming it was their "special" bottle too. This was just a special edition bottle, not made expressly for any one store. The modernistic bottle came in two sizes: 1 oz and 1 2/3 oz.
The Cathedral bottle originally had a glass stopper, but by 1934, this bottle was later changed to have a plastic screw cap and made in different sizes. Also the Cathedral shape was adapted for use for other products in the line such as bath salts, most notably in the "Neptune Green" line of packaging.
Arched Crystal Flacon:
Metal Flip Top Case Purse Flacon:
In 1934, a purse flacon debuted in a new gold tone metal case (usually the goldtone has worn off). This case replaced the old coffin style that was used in the 1920s and early 1930s. The new case was rectangular in shape and had a strip of black bakelite covering the flip top lid. It has a hinge on the left side and a deep red tab on the right which, when pressed, opens the top to get to the perfume bottle inside. The front of the case features the engraved Coty logo. The size of the case is approx. 2.5" tall x 1-3/8" wide x 5/8" thick.
The bottle is quite plain and is of clear glass and resembled the earlier banded style flacon. The stopper is molded with a stylized floral design. The base of the bottle is molded with Coty and was made in Coty's own glassworks. The bottle holds 1/4 oz of parfum. You can find this in Emeraude, L'Aimant, L'Origan and possibly others.
Yellow Mimosa Print Packaging:
In 1935, the Coty floral parfums were packaged in new limited edition ensembles featuring mimosa prints on yellow backgrounds. The following perfumes were included: Muguet, Oeillet France, La Rose Jacqueminot, Ambre Antique, Lilas Pourpre, and Violette Pourpre. Eventually, the other Coty perfumes were added to the packaging design such as Emeraude, Iris, L'Aimant, and L'Origan.
Debuting in 1935, the "Peacock Presentation" featured a peacock feather design on the packaging and stylized peacock eye motifs on the bottles. The bottles came in three sizes: purse, travel and boudoir. The fragrances represented were: Chypre, L'Aimant, L'Origan, Paris, Emeraude, Ambreine. By 1937, Emeraude and Ambreine were no longer offered in this line as you can see from the 1937/1938 catalog image below.
The "Obelisque" flacon is a tall, slender bottle topped by a flat, square frosted glass stopper molded with stylized foliate motifs with the name COTY molded in each corner. This bottle made its debut in 1935. It was available in the following fragrances: Styx, Paris, Chypre, Emeraude, L'Aimant, and L'Origan. The flacon was also available in a miniature version holding just 0.34 oz and using the same scale motif stopper as the Lilas Pourpre and Louvre packaging styles.
Neptune Green Packaging:
In 1935 Coty introduced a new look for its packaging. Dubbed "Neptune Green", the boxes, talc and bath salts, and dusting powder canisters were covered in a seafoam green color with air bubbles and starfish to evoke an undersea motif. The scents represented were Styx, L'Aimant, Emeraude, L'Origan, Paris, and Chypre. The line included toilet water, bath salts, dusting powder and talcum.